November 17, 2013

Sophie

My heart started beating fast.

The long forgotten sparkle came back to my eyes.

It had been too long. Too long.

Since I last saw her.

I saw her trudging up the hill towards me. My god, how I had missed her. Her long hair, black as coal, all tied up in a tight braid. Sapphire eyes staring at me from the start of the hill. Small, cute nose, slightly pointed at the end. And that sweet smile, that sweet smile I used to see everyday, till everything happened. Till she was torn from my life. Ten years ago. Ten years since I last saw her, when she disappeared.

She finally made it to where I was sitting. She took hold of the wicker chair in front of me and sat down. We looked at each other for a few minutes in silence, each remembering.After a few moments, I finally decided I had to say something. I just didn't know what to say. After all we'd been through, and we couldn't say anything to each other.

"You're remembering aren't you?", she asked me.

"Can I not, Sophie?", I answered back.

"That's all we have left, huh?", she looked at me sadly.

"It's funny, after everything that's happened, ten years Soph, ten years. I went through a really tough time after losing you, after losing everything i had. You were my everything.", I couldn't help telling her.

"Oh, come on. You know it didn't have anything to do with me. I was so in love with you, just as you were with me. How the hell do you think I felt? Tell me please", she said.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking", I answered.

She looked at me in the eyes and I held her gaze. She was so pretty, she had always been. And I knew I still loved her, just as she loved me. We still loved each other just as much as we used to, but we both knew neither could go through what we'd been through again.

I recall that all the problems started with her father. He wouldn't even let me in their house, so bad was I to him. Sometimes  he wouldn't even acknowledge my presence, and if we casually met in the middle of any known street, he would pass by, completely ignoring me.

Then her mother. She wasn't like her husband, but as bad in other ways. She looked at me badly whenever I entered Sophie's house, and rare was the day when no criticizing comment came from her mouth towards me. And of course, I was her main topic when she was gossiping with her posh friends, all false with everyone.

Sometimes I never even got to see Sophie before hurrying home to be hugged by my own mother because I hadn't been able to stand anything else.

I had been going out with Sophie for three years, and we had been thinking about getting married. Of course, that caused such an uproar that her parents prohibited her to see me during three or four months. I guess that was the last straw.

I couldn't take it any more.

I couldn't live like that.

Even my own father didn't like me sometimes. Coming home when he was there was like going to Sophie's house. It was a horrible experience and quite a few times I even thought of letting go of my life.

I was grateful that I hadn't done anything and that Sophie was sitting in front of me. She had suffered too. Like me.

We weren't accepted and that had affected us.

"I've missed you Soph", I told her. She looked up at me after a few minutes, fiddling with her hands.

"It will never be the same, you know that right?", she asked me.

"I know. You love me and I love you, you always have, and so have I. But we both know that it's over definitely. I just can't take it anymore. Not your family.", I said as I stood up and started to leave, after leaving some money on the table. As I started to walk away I heard a voice behind me;

"Mary," she said as I turned around, "People like us will never be accepted by them, I love you, take care."

I nodded, flipped my long hair and started walking away.


-------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to write a bit about social discrimination.

Thank you so much for all the support you've been giving me, especially on my last post. I could tell you sincerely liked it.

Remember, if you want me to tell you about a new post or something, tell me on twitter. @estherturbi. Or on my ask, http://ask.fm/turbs
I LOVE YOU ALL

Esther Alós © All rights reserved 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and unfortunately real. You really are supporting the people who live similar situations, im sure they'll be grateful for this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope they know that a lot of people support them and love them for who they are

      Delete